Most Active Stories
- Wisconsin Man Receives $183,000 Fine For Taking Koch Website Down For 15 Min.
- Staff Members Reflect On McCain's Time At KMUW
- Wichitans Join National Effort To Raise Wages For Fast Food Workers
- KMUW's GM Mark McCain Announces Retirement
- Musical Space: Are Streaming Music Services Destroying The Industry?
Bill was born and raised in a sod hut on the Kansas plains.
And then he graduated with a degree in clarinet performance from Simpson College in Indianola. While in Iowa, Pearce worked at a commercial radio station playing pop-like music records and reading news.
After college, he returned to Wichita and began a career in photography. He worked for KWCH, at a commercial photo studio and later for Cessna. Pearce got back into radio when he found a job at the now-defunct Friends University station. He played classical music during the week and hosted his own jazz show on Saturdays.
For the past eight years, Pearce has read magazines like Sports Illustrated and Entertainment Weekly for the Wichita Radio Reading Service, which is in the same building as KMUW. That’s how General Manager Mark McCain found him. Straight No Chaser features mostly instrumental jazz, from early music to recent recordings. Also listen for the record labels, names of all the musicians involved, and when the recording was made.