Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Wisconsin Man Receives $183,000 Fine For Taking Koch Website Down For 15 Min.
- Staff Members Reflect On McCain's Time At KMUW
- Wichitans Join National Effort To Raise Wages For Fast Food Workers
- KMUW's GM Mark McCain Announces Retirement
- Musical Space: Are Streaming Music Services Destroying The Industry?
Kevin Whitehead is the jazz critic for NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross.
Whitehead's articles on jazz and improvised music have appeared in such publications as Point of Departure, the Chicago Sun-Times, Village Voice, Down Beat, and the Dutch daily de Volkskrant.
He is the author of Why Jazz: A Concise Guide (2010), New Dutch Swing (1998), and (with photographer Ton Mijs) Instant Composers Pool Orchestra: You Have to See It (2011).
His essays have appeared in numerous anthologies including Da Capo Best Music Writing 2006, Discover Jazz and Traveling the Spaceways: Sun Ra, the Astro-Black and Other Solar Myths.
Whitehead has taught at Towson University, the University of Kansas and Goucher College. He lives near Baltimore.