Most Active Stories
- Jay Docs Marks 10 Years With Guadalupe Clinic
- Forum Theatre's Christmas Carol - A Local Tradition
- Wichita Woman Serves As Ambassador for Auctioneering Industry
- Remembering Elliott Smith, Revisiting A Classic From New Jersey’s Most Powerful Trio
- WSU Receives $11.25M: Largest Corporate Foundation Gift To Date
Thu July 3, 2014
Flint Hills Technical College Installs Solar Panels
A technical college in Kansas is taking another step toward energy self-sufficiency with the installation of solar panels.
The panels are being put in place this week at Flint Hills Technical College.
The school’s Emporia campus also has a half-dozen geothermal wells, and a turbine to generate wind energy.
Flint Hills moved a few years ago into a new building designed by architecture students from Kansas State University in order to be energy-efficient. The technical college is enrolled in Westar Energy’s solar program, which helped fund the solar panels.
College officials say that along with saving money on utilities, the school expects to generate enough energy to return some of it to Westar's grid.