Most Active Stories
- Crowson: Does Our State Have A New Mascot?
- Editorial Commentary: 'A Kansan In Brownbackistan'
- Wichita State's College Of Fine Arts Honors Five Alumni
- Brownback Isn't Concerned By Unbalanced Budget Bills In Kansas Legislature
- Airbus To Relocate Old Town Operations To Wichita State's Innovation Campus
Tue July 22, 2014
Salina To Vote On Fluoridation
A petition to remove fluoride from Salina’s water supply was submitted on Monday to the city clerk.
A grassroots organization called Salina Cares delivered the petition and its 2041 signatures to city clerk Shandi Wicks on July 21st.
The petition is a request to the city of Salina to remove fluoride from the city’s public water supply.
The group intends to put the issue up for a vote in the November elections.
Salina’s city water has been fluoridated for more than 40 years and proponents of fluoridation argue that it helps in the prevention of cavities especially for young teeth.
The petitioners say that it is time the citizens have a say in what is put into their bodies.
The citizens of Wichita voted fluoridation down in 2012, following similar decisions in 1978 and 1964.