Most Active Stories
- Jay Docs Marks 10 Years With Guadalupe Clinic
- Forum Theatre's Christmas Carol - A Local Tradition
- Wichita Woman Serves As Ambassador for Auctioneering Industry
- Remembering Elliott Smith, Revisiting A Classic From New Jersey’s Most Powerful Trio
- WSU Receives $11.25M: Largest Corporate Foundation Gift To Date
Mon June 30, 2014
Turnpike Authority Considers Scenic Flint Hills Outlook
The Kansas Turnpike Authority is considering building a scenic outlook along Interstate 35 to allow travelers to stop and appreciate the Flint Hills.
The turnpike authority is considering improvements to on and off ramps south of Emporia that currently serve cattle owners, who truck in their cattle to graze in the spring and then retrieve them in the fall.
If the project is successful, it would be the first scenic overlook on the turnpike.
Construction of the overlook is tentatively scheduled for spring 2015, although cost estimates and the design have not been determined.
The project also must be approved by the turnpike authority's board.