Most Active Stories
- Crowson: Does Our State Have A New Mascot?
- Editorial Commentary: 'A Kansan In Brownbackistan'
- Brownback Isn't Concerned By Unbalanced Budget Bills In Kansas Legislature
- Airbus To Relocate Old Town Operations To Wichita State's Innovation Campus
- Reaching Out: The Ongoing Relationship Between WPD And The Homeless
Wed May 28, 2014
Wichita Mosaic: Dan Dillon
Wichita is a city with people from many cultures and backgrounds. A jigsaw puzzle made up of colorful and interlocking pieces. But how much do we really know about the people that live here?
Nebraska native Dan Dillon moved to Wichita almost fresh out of college in 1979 to be News Director of KFDI. It was one of his first radio jobs since graduating with a degree in broadcast journalism from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
In the 34 years that followed, Dan Dillon became the signature voice of KFDI news--especially when severe storms and tornadoes rolled into the Wichita area. Sometimes, Dan would get up at 3 am to host the morning news, only to return to work that evening to anchor weather coverage until the early morning hours.
A little over a year ago, Dan set off for a new adventure as the Media Coordinator for Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett.
Long-time colleague George Lawson was kind enough to share some of Dan's work during his years at KFDI. Listen below for examples of Dan's court reporting and storm coverage.