History

Listen to Frank Dudgeon's interview with Pat Hayes who has worked at KMUW since 1978.

April 26, 1949: KMUW begins broadcasting as the first 10-watt noncommercial FM station in the United States, the first noncommercial FM station in the State of Kansas and the second FM station in the state.

March 1962: KMUW increases its power to 250 watts (ERP).

August 1, 1970: KMUW hires its first full-time manager with grant money received from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

October 29, 1970: KMUW increases its power to 10,000 watts (ERP) and relocates its transmitter to the KTVH-TV (now KWCH-TV) facilities at 37th Street North and Hillside.

May 1, 1971: KMUW carries the first broadcasts of National Public Radio, as a charter member and affiliate of that new and interconnected network of noncommercial radio stations.

September 23, 1973: KMUW begins broadcasting in stereo, through all-new studio equipment purchased with funds received from an HEW matching grant.

March 27, 1981: KMUW dedicates Blake Hall at 3317 East 17th Street, which served as our home until April 24, 2017.

September 1, 1987: KMUW increases its power to 100,000 watts, effectively serving a 60-mile radius around metro Wichita.

September 1, 1994: KMUW becomes an affiliate of Public Radio International (PRI). Along with NPR, PRI produces the bulk of nationally-distributed programs heard on public radio station across the country.

2008: KMUW completes the Signal Expansion Project doubling the height of the antenna and building a new green transmitter facility.

April 26, 2009: KMUW celebrates its 60th birthday.

April 25, 2016: KMUW moved into our present studios at WSU Old Town, 121 N. Mead, Suite 200.