Most Active Stories
Mon July 22, 2013
8 Lakes In Kansas You Need To Be Warned About
Swimming, skiing and other direct water contact is banned at six Kansas lakes because of toxic blue-green algae.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment says the lakes are:
- Buhler City Lake in Reno County
- Colwich City Lake in Sedgwick County
- Logan City Lake in Phillips County
- Memorial Park Lake in Barton County
- Riggs Park Lake in Sedgwick County
- South Park Lake in Johnson County
At two other Kansas lakes, officials are discouraging direct contact with the water. Those lakes are Marion Reservoir in Marion County and Milford Lake in Dickinson and Geary counties.
The KDHE wants visitors to these lakes to keep pets from drinking the contaminated water and to thoroughly clean any fish that are caught.