Tue August 26, 2014
Health & Wellness Coalition Of Wichita Announces Working Well Awards
The Working Well Award recognizes outstanding employers in Sedgwick County who demonstrate extraordinary success in worksite wellness. Awards are given to applicants who provide a supportive and healthy environment for their employees to make positive healthy lifestyle changes.
The 2014 award winners are listed in bold and italics:
Small Employer Category (100 or less):
- Cochener Garvey Capital Partners Health and Wellness program operates on a shoestring budget and held a recycle week where employees could bring household items to exchange with co-workers, and feel good about de-cluttering their homes.
- Vermillion offers a physical activity program called "Get going bingo" where employees are encouraged to try new ways to be active including group exercise, outdoor biking, house or yard work and stretching at work. Their “8 to Hydrate” program encourages increasing water intake.
- The City of Cheney has a wellness calendar with presentations and challenges for each month. They ended their wellness calendar with their first annual employee golf tournament.
- Gallagher Benefit Services offers 30-day activity challenges and engages employees through the “Healthway's web portal” where employees create a plan tailored to individual health goals and needs based on results from a well-being assessment.
Medium Employer Category (101 to 500):
- The City of Derby employees have a wellness champion assigned to them, and those in the Gold and Platinum levels in their “Be Well Derby” program earn Wellness Days. These Wellness Days are sick days converted to vacation time.
- Valley Center USD 262 offers game nights for adults where they have play dodge ball and basketball. They also hosted their first annual employee health fair.
- High Touch Technologies employees can use CHAMP points to purchase 10-minute, on-site, chair massages. Their worksite has an Avanti Marketplace, which serves fresh sandwiches, salads and breakfast items.
- Royal Caribbean offers a food journal challenge, encouraging employees to track food for two weeks. They also promote physical activity by having standing workstations.
Large Employer Category (501 or more):
- Cargill Meat Solutions offers Weight Watchers on site and uses a "desk drop" to communicate to employees.
- Bombardier Learjet has a "Wednesday Walkers" Employee Walking Club and has a policy addressing e-cigarettes.
- Via Christi Health Chief Human Resources Officer explains the wellness program to new hires in the New Employee Orientation video and they have a Medication Therapy Management Program.