Kansas health officials say five Kansas lakes have dangerous levels of toxic algae.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment said Thursday high levels of toxic blue-green algae have been detected at the following lakes:
- Memorial Park Lake in Barton County
- Hiawatha City Lake in Brown County
- Lake Shawnee in Shawnee County
- Lake Warnock in Atchison County
- Logan City Lake in Phillips County.
The department says a warning means conditions are unsafe, and swimming, wading, skiing or other direct contact with the water are prohibited.
The department has also lifted an algae advisory for Mission Lake in Brown County.
When animals are exposed to toxic algae they may experience vomiting, diarrhea or even death. Humans can also experience symptoms including rashes, running noses and eye infections.