Milton Wolf

More registered Republicans in Kansas voted for someone other than Pat Roberts for the U.S. Senate...but Roberts still won his primary election.

It was a close call, but ultimately he claimed victory by fighting-off his main challenger, tea party-backed Milton Wolf.

He finished the race with just 48% of the vote. The other 52% was split among his three challengers, with Wolf capturing 41% of the vote.

Roberts will now face Democrat Chad Taylor and independent candidate Greg Orman this fall.

Stephen Koranda

Olathe businessman Greg Orman says he has enough signatures to appear on the Kansas ballot as an independent candidate for the U.S. Senate. Orman says his campaign has collected more than 10,000 signatures. He says that number shows many Kansans are tired of the current political system.

"Kansans are looking for an option, they're looking for an alternative. They want people who are problem solvers, not just engaged in the old partisan fighting. They want problem solvers, and I think that’s the message of our campaign,” says Orman.

The American Hospital Association has disclosed spending $212,000 on television advertisements praising Sen. Pat Roberts as he faces Milton Wolf in the Aug. 5 primary.

The association disclosed the spending in a report filed last week with federal regulators, with the bulk of the money buying advertising time. An association spokeswoman did not immediately return telephone and email messages.

Roberts' re-election campaign said the ads began airing statewide last week. The ads say Roberts is a leader on protecting rural health care.

A national tea party group is backing challenger Milton Wolf's bid to unseat Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts in the state’s Republican primary.

The Atlanta-based Tea Party Patriots Citizens Fund announced Tuesday that it has endorsed Wolf. The group described Wolf as the right conservative candidate to fight Democratic President Barack Obama’s agenda in Washington.

Roberts is seeking his third, six-year term in the Senate. Wolf has made the senator’s longevity in politics an issue, as Roberts began working as a congressional aide in 1967.

Tea party candidate Milton Wolf is attacking both Republican U.S. senators from Kansas as he tries to unseat three-term incumbent Pat Roberts in the state’s GOP primary.

U.S. Senator Jerry Moran declined Thursday to respond to Wolf’s criticism of him over his chairmanship of the Republican National Senatorial Committee.

Wolf contends the committee betrayed the Republican Party and its conservative base by supporting Mississippi Senator Thad Cochran in his hotly contested primary race against a tea party challenger. Cochran narrowly won a runoff earlier this week.

U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts continues to maintain his fundraising advantage over challenger Dr. Milton Wolf in their Kansas primary race.

According to reports filed with the Federal Elections Commission, incumbent Senator Roberts raised more than $534,000 from Jan. 1 through March 31st, aided by nearly $260,000 from political action committees.

Wolf’s campaign says it raised more than $318,000 during the same period, and that all but about 5 thousand dollars were from individual donors.

The national group "Senate Conservatives Fund" has endorsed Milton Wolf in campaign against Senator Roberts for the Kansas Republican primary.

Wolf is a radiologist in Leawood, Kansas, and is running against Roberts as a tea party candidate.

He's criticized Roberts on budget, tax and health care issues and sees the endorsement as helping him build momentum.

Former South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint founded the Senate Conservatives Fund.

Roberts May Face Opposition In Run For Senate

Oct 8, 2013

U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts may have a primary challenge in his bid for re-election.

Milton Wolf is inviting supporters on his website to a "major announcement" Tuesday night regarding the 2014 Kansas Senate campaign.

The Johnson County doctor is expected to say he's moving ahead with a Republican primary challenge to Roberts.

Roberts is seeking a fourth six-year term in the U.S. Senate. No Democrat has announced plans to run.