Most Active Stories
Fri August 30, 2013
5 Things To Do This Labor Day Weekend
In need of something to do to fill your extra-long Labor Day Weekend? We've rounded up a few events taking place in and around town that will run through the weekend and on Labor Day.
- The 45th Annual Black Arts Festival - This 3-day event held in McAdams Park is being kicked off with a Unity parade on Saturday. There will be vender booths, talent shows, voter registration, and a showcase of local artwork from the community. The event is held to engage and educate communities about the rich artistic heritage of the African American culture. Admission to the event is $3.00.
- Dinosaurs Unearthed - This is the last weekend to checkout this Exploration Place event before it ends on Tuesday. Learn about these ancient creatures through 14 life-size animatronic dinosaurs, two articulated full-scale skeletons and 22 fossils. The event is $9.50 for ages 12-64, $8 for seniors, $6 for ages 3-11 and children under 2 are free. Students who are part of Stubblefield Society can also get one free admission.
- Kidzcope Good Grief 5K and 1 Mile Race - This event takes place on Sunday in Old Town and promises to be a fun time for the whole family while also honoring the memories of loved ones and celebrating life. Participate in an evening 5K or 1 mile route. After the race, enjoy kid games, live music, food and drinks. Admission is $30 for adults and $15 for children
- The Lake Afton Public Observatory presents: Black Holes in Space - On Friday and Saturday, enjoy an evening learning about these invisible massive gravity wells. Admission to this event is $5 for adults and $3 for children.
- Kansas State Fair 100th Birthday Parade - Join this centennial celebration of the Kansas State Fair in Hutchinson, Kan., on Monday. The parade starts on 12th and Main St and travels to the entrance of the fairgrounds. Entries could be up for awards in Best Use of Parade Theme, Best Overall Entry, Most Creative/Original, Best Performance and Judge's Choice. Visitors will be treated to a show by the band INSTEP and they will be also receive free ice cream courtesy of Dillons. Gov. Sam Brownback will also be in attendance. Admission to the event is free.
Know of other great things happening this weekend? Share them in the comments section.